Midland Christian School opened in September 1960 with one teacher and 17 students in kindergarten through third grade.
This early beginning was the result of families working through the previous decade to bring Christian education to the Midland area, resulting in the formation of the Midland Christian School Association in 1958. The small school moved from its original location at the Church of the Brethren at the corner Swede and Sugnet to the Church of God at the corner of Gordon and Grove in 1964.
During the following decade, enrollment grew to 75 students and four teachers in grades K – 8. A few years later, a piece of property was donated to the school on West Wackerly Road, then a gravel-paved street on the outskirts of Midland. Two portable classrooms accommodated four classes on the site while the school was built. The building opened in 1974 with 102 students and five teachers, yet enrollment swelled in the following year, resulting in the addition of the junior/senior high wing in 1975. By the early 1980s a full K-12 grade program was offered with 1982, seeing the first graduating class of 9 students.
In 2000 a full-size gymnasium, locker rooms, three additional classrooms and a cafeteria were added. The shift to the classical Christian educational model was implemented during the 2007-2008 school year. Also in that school year, an updated Early Childhood playground was installed. In 2010, a full kitchen and in-house lunch program was added. In 2015, Midland Christian School became accredited through Christian Schools International, as well as AdvancEd (formerly North Central Accreditation). Today, the school proudly serves around 100 students representing children in preschool 3’s through 12th grade that come from over 30 different Christian churches in the area.
Learn more about how your child can benefit from a Christian Education or watch a video about our first 50 years.